IMMAST Extended Hands-on Training in Flexible Upper GI Endoscopy
Flexible GI Endoscopy has now become an integral part of the practice of Gastroenterology and GI Surgery. The speciality of GI Endoscopy has grown exponentially over the past 6 decades from a purely diagnostic modality into a powerful therapeutic tool.
Every surgeon who practices GI surgery often requires the help of Upper GI Endoscopy to diagnose various pathologies before planning a surgery. In addition, nowadays many GI diseases can be better tackled by interventional endoscopic techniques rather than bysurgery, thereby providing a safe and effective treatment for patients.
Newer Upper GI interventional procedures like Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR) and Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection (ESD) for early oesophageal and stomach cancers are now routinely practiced by professionals, and procedures like Per Oral Endoscopic Myotom(POEM) are slowly replacing surgical intervention for Achalasia Cardia. Therefore, it is imperative that today’s GI specialists should be well versed in Diagnostic and Interventional Flexible Upper GI Endoscopic techniques. IMMAST’s Extended Training is especially designed for GI surgeons and physicians of today with an emphasis on teaching the safe, standard technique of Upper GI Endoscopy from experts.
Selected participants will first attend a 3-day structured hands-on training course in IMMAST’s animal tissue labs. During this 3-day Certificate Course in Diagnostic and Interventional Flexible Upper GI Endoscopy, participants will receive didactic & hands-on training (on unique near-life tissue models) in world-class labs fitted to simulate OR environment. They will observe live procedures in an OR for the following three days.
The entire training shall be imparted under the personal supervision of stalwarts of the field, with ample time to pick up tips & tricks from the gurus.
- To learn how to set up your Endoscopy Unit
- To master the proper technique of performing a safe and effective Upper GI endoscopic examination
- To learn how to interpret various pathologies of the Upper GI tract
- To learn the proper indications and contraindications of doing an Upper GI endoscopy
- To learn the basic interventional endoscopic procedures like biopsy, injection, band ligation, polypectomy, dilatation and foreign body retrieval which surgeons can perform in their day to day practice
- To know about what complications can arise due to endoscopic procedures and how to prevent & manage them
- To learn about sedation methods required for performing endoscopy
- To learn how to generate standardized endoscopy reports using proper terminology
- To know how to handle, maintain and disinfect video endoscopes
Who Should Attend ?
- GI Surgeons & Physicians who wish to set up their Upper GI endoscopy practice
- Surgical and Gastroenterological Residents
- Young physicians entering into the field of GI Endoscopy
- Surgeons practicing GI surgery who want to start basic diagnostic and interventional Upper GI endoscopy in their day to day practice
- Surgeons who are already performing GI endoscopy but want to expand their skills to do further interventional procedures
- Renowned Faculty, Interactive lectures and video sessions
- Supervised hands-on training on Upper GI Flexible Endoscopy on the state-of-the-art latest
- VR simulators
- Supervised extensive hands-on training in the animal tissue laboratory
- Exposure to the various accessories used for Upper GI endoscopic procedures
- Clinical experience of an Upper GI Flexible Endoscopy in a hospital setting
Certificate of Attendance on training completion & submission of Log Book
6 days (including 3 days of Certificate Course in Diagnostic & Interventional Flexible Upper GI Endoscopy)
A) Certificate Course in Diagnostic & Interventional Flexible Upper GI Endoscopy
- Theoretical sessions with videos
- Hands-on session on Latest GI Mentor (VR Simulator)
- Theoretical sessions with videos
- Hands-on training – Latest GI Mentor (Virtual Reality Simulator)
- Hands-on training – Animal tissue lab
- Visit to the Endoscopy Suite (*subject to case availability)
- One-to-one interactive session with faculty
- Observation of Upper GI endoscopic procedures done by experts
B) Extended Training**:
- Observation of Live endoscopic Procedures – Detailed Explanation of Endoscopic Landmarks of the Foregut.
- Withdrawal of Endoscope with complete visualization of the Stomach, Esophagus, Cricopharynx. Participants will perform different techniques of scope handling and maneuvering to improve visualization.
- Detailed discussion and identification of common pathologies of the Foregut – Gastritis, Varices, Polyps, Ulcers, Hiatus Hernia, Esophagitis, etc.
- Interactive session where participants will be free to observe and discuss the various diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic procedures.
- Participants will be allowed to perform endoscopic biopsies from the stomach and tissue handling.
- Orientation to the duodenum and maneuvering the scope inside the duodenum.
- Perform Standardized endoscopy reporting.
- Understanding the preparation and anaesthesia required for endoscopy.
- Direct role in performing endoscopy
- Introducing the scope across the Cricopharynx
- Negotiating the Gastroesophageal junction – crossing the Pyloric sphincter and performing deep duodenal Intubation**
**This course program is subject to modification. Training may vary according to Expertise and cognitive skills.
Participants will be permitted to observe other Diagnostic and Therapeutic procedures during the 3 days of their training. Detailed agenda will be provided on the first day of the course.