Certificate Course in Trans-esophageal Echocardiography
Trans-esophageal Echocardiography (TEE) is an essential skill for practicing cardiologists, cardiac anesthesiologists and cardiology fellows during all stages of their career. It helps in diagnosis of critical pathologies of the heart and is immensely useful in guiding therapeutic transcatheter and surgical procedures of the structural heart disease.
It is a semi-invasive technique which could cause patient discomfort and carries a potential for complications, if performed by an inexperienced or unskilled physician. It is difficult to learn and practice on conscious patients, as well as unethical to perform without training. Mannequin simulator-based TEE training offers the best solution to this dilemma, and should be treated as mandatory for learning to perform safe TEE procedure.
The training course at IMMAST includes intensive hands-on practice in state-of-the-art lab environment, on life-size mannequin simulators, under personal supervision of eminent national & international faculty.
- To give “hands-on” training of systematic and detailed performance of TEE examination in a virtual environment of life-size Mannequin simulator with a dummy TEE probe.
- To give three-dimensional orientation of cardiac structure and to familiarize with different cross-sectional anatomical views of the heart and associated pathology.
- To teach the use of various manual controls on the TEE probe and echocardiography machine and to repeatedly practice various maneuvers of the TEE probe to acquire all the IAE/ASE guidelines directed cross-sectional views of in-situ cardiac anatomy.
- To teach the focused TEE multi-planar examination targeted to specific cardiac structures to guide the surgery or transcatheter procedures.
- Concise theoretical presentation on physics and instrumentation of TEE probe and 3D cardiac anatomy
- Training of each candidate repeatedly for all the TEE probe maneuvers with ‘cross-sectional anatomy’ and ‘echo-image’ correlation and display orientation.
- Hands-on training of acquisition of all the TEE views, with ample repetitions, for each candidate with individual attention and customization of time and speed of the training.
- Practical tips for performing the TEE examination in different clinical scenarios and in ICU, cath-lab or operating room.
- Experience of handling real TEE probe and operating controls for 2D and 3D echo imaging.
Who Should Attend:
- All DM (cardiology) / DNB (cardiology)/ FNB (pediatric cardiology) qualified cardiologists, Mch (cardio-vascular surgery) qualified cardiac surgeons at any stage of their career
- DM (cardio-vascular anesthesiology) qualified cardiac anesthesiologists at any stage of their career. MD (anesthesiology) at any stage of their career who are spending more than 75 % of their professional time in cardio-vascular surgery.
- Third-year DM (cardiology) / DNB (cardiology)/ DM (cardio-vascular anesthesia)/ Mch (cardio-vascular surgery) trainee, fellows, residents.