Certificate Course in Diagnostic and Interventional Upper GI Endoscopy
Flexible GI Endoscopy has now become an integral part of the practice of Gastroenterology and GI Surgery. The speciality of GI Endoscopy has grown exponentially over the past 6 decades from a purely diagnostic modality into a powerful therapeutic tool.
Every surgeon who practices GI surgery often requires the help of Upper GI Endoscopy to diagnose various pathologies before planning surgery. In addition, nowadays many GI diseases can be better tackled by interventional endoscopic techniques rather than by surgery, thereby providing a safe and effective treatment for patients. Newer Upper GI interventional procedures like Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR) and Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection (ESD) for early oesophageal and stomach cancers are now routinely practiced in the world. Procedures like Per Oral Endoscopic Myotomy (POEM) are slowly replacing surgical intervention for Achalasia Cardia. Therefore it is imperative that today’s GI surgeon should be well versed in Diagnostic and Interventional Flexible Upper GI Endoscopic techniques.
This course is specially designed for the GI surgeon and physician of today with an emphasis on teaching the right technique of Upper GI Endoscopy from experts.
- To understand the mechanics and parts of flexible video endoscope
- To learn how to set up your Endoscopy Unit
- To master the proper technique of performing a safe and effective Upper GI endoscopic examination
- To know how to handle and disinfect video endoscopes
- To learn how to interpret various pathologies of the Upper GI tract
- To learn the proper indications and contraindications of doing an Upper GI endoscopy
- To learn the basic interventional endoscopic procedures like biopsy, injection, band ligation, polypectomy and dilatation which surgeons can perform in their day to day practice
- To know about what complications can arise due to endoscopic procedures and how to prevent them
- To learn about sedation methods required for performing endoscopy
- To learn how to generate standardized endoscopy reports using proper terminology
- To learn all about documentation, image grabbing and video editing
Who Should Attend ?
- Surgical and Gastroenterological Residents
- Young physicians entering into the field of GI Endoscopy
- Surgeons practicing GI surgery who wants to start basic diagnostic and interventional Upper GI endoscopy in their day to day practice
- Surgeons and Physicians who want to pursue GI endoscopy as their future career
- Surgeons who are already performing GI endoscopy but want to expand their skills to do further interventional procedures
- Lectures by expert faculty
- Supervised hands-on training on Upper GI Flexible Endoscopy on the state of the art latest computerized simulators
- Supervised extensive hands-on training in the animal tissue laboratory
- Exposure to the various accessories used for Upper GI endoscopic procedures