Prof. Tehemton E. Udwadia is Emeritus Professor of Surgery, Grant Medical College & J. J. Hospital, Mumbai. Prof. Udwadia was the first surgeon to perform Laparoscopic Surgery in the developing world. He’s regarded as the ‘Father of Laparoscopic Surgery’ in India.
IMMAST takes pride in announcing that our Chairman, Prof. Tehemton E. Udwadia has been selected to join 100 Genius Global Contributors of our time who will share their ‘Visions Of The Future’ in the world’s first 3D-printed book to celebrate 100th Anniversary of publication of Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity.
100 years ago, Albert Einstein created the General Theory of Relativity. To commemorate this historic occasion, & to honour the legacy & life of Albert Einstein, the Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University have conceptualised a global project ‘Genius: 100 Visions Of The Future’ with an aim to inspire & identify the future generations of brilliant minds on our planet.
On Sunday, September 10, 2017, at a historical event in Montreal, Canada, world’s most celebrated innovators, & influencers from various fields like science and technology, education, arts, and literature came together. The star-studded Dinner that celebrated the life and legacy of Albert Einstein, and honoured today’s 100 most significant influencers. Prof. Tehemton E. Udwadia (Emeritus Professor of Surgery, Grant Medical College & J. J. Hospital, First Surgeon to perform Laparoscopic Surgery in the Developing World, Chairman, IMMAST Recipient of The Order Of The British Empire & Padma Bhushan Award) was honoured along with legendary Colonel Chris Hadfield (Astronaut, Former Commander of The International Space Station & the first Canadian to walk in Space), Deepak Chopra (Bestselling Author, Renowned Pioneer in Integrative Medicine & Personal Transformation), Barbra Streisand (Award-Winning Actress, Singer, Director, Writer & Activist).
Other eminent personalities to be honoured included, Dr. Shinya Yamanaka (Nobel laureate in Stem Cell Research, Director of the Center for IPS Cell Research & Application, CIRA, at Tokyo University), Shimon Peres (Former President & Prime Minister of Israel, Nobel Peace Laureate), Zubin Mehta (Multiple Award-Winning Classical Music Conductor, Hollywood Walk of Fame Inductee) Garry Kasparov (Former World Chess Champion, Chairman of the New York-based Human Rights Foundation & a Senior Visiting Fellow at The Oxford Martin School), Sir Ridley Scott (Award-Winning Prolific Film & Television Producer & Director), Indra Nooyi (Chairman & CEO, Pepsico), Michael Bloomberg (Founder, CEO, & Owner of Bloomberg L. P., A Global Financial Services, Mass Media, & Software company, Philanthropist who served Three Terms as Mayor of The City Of New York), etc. to name a few.
Distinguished Indian Influencers including Dr. Swati Piramal (Vice Chairperson, Piramal Enterprises, One of India’s Leading Scientists & Industrialists in Healthcare), Ratan Tata (An Industrialist, Investor & Philanthropist, Former Chairman Tata Sons, Recipient of two of the highest civilian awards of India – Padma Vibhushan & Padma Bhushan) were also honoured on this historic occasion. The event marked the most significant gatherings of Nobel Laureates, Intellectuals, Scientists, Artists and Influencers from multiple fields.
At Genius 100: Innovation Summit that took place on September 9, 2017, the distinguished influencers spoke about varied topics ranging from the environment to science & technology, from education to arts & literature.
This global mega-project rightly termed as a ‘Publishing Milestone’ will collect the visions of these 100 greatest influencers of our time (See the complete list of ‘Genius Contributors’ here) in the world’s first 3D-Printed Book designed exclusively by Renowned Designer Ron Arad.The 3D limited-edition. book is formed in the likeness of Einstein himself.
- 1958: Graduated in Medicine. Started career as a Research Fellow at the K. E. M. Hospital & Seth G. S. Medical College.
- 1960: Completed the Post Graduate Degree (MS)
- 1963-1994: Prof. Udwadia moved to Grand Medical College & Sir J. J. Group of Hospitals & worked there till his superannuation.
- 1984-85: Prof. Udwadia also worked as a Hunterian Professor of the Royal College of England
- 1992: Sir James Ross Lecturer at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- 1994 – Till date: Prof. Udwadia continues his association with Grand Medical College & Sir J. J. Group of Hospitals in Mumbai as Emeritus Professor of Surgery.
- 1993-1998: Founder President, The Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo- Surgeons
Prof. Udwadia has also served as the President of the Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India, Association of Surgeons of India & the Society of Endoscopic & Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia.
- Padma Bhushan – The Third Highest Civilian Honour awarded by The Government of India in 2017
- Order of the British Empire
- Padma Shri – The Fourth Highest Civilian Honour awarded by The Government of India in 2006
- SAGES Millennium Award – Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons honoured Prof. Udwadia in 2000
- B. C. Roy Award – The highest Indian Award in the field of Medicine was conferred upon Prof. Udwadia in 2000 by Medical Council of India.
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Conferred in 2004 by The Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo-Surgeons
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic Surgery in Developing Countries